How We're Coping With Coronavirus
Our regular services, all small groups, and our clothing ministry hours are currently suspended. Our food pantry is still in operation.
Please read below if you need assistance.
May 24, 2020
Your Church: We're Staying Connected
We have been blessed that Vernon United Methodist church has not missed a beat. We have continued from the day our church building closed continuing on Facebook live. We know how essential worship is that is why we have and will continue worshipping. Yes, we have been told we can open our doors but we will not until a safe plan of action is put together. We do not want A building to be responsible for our church family to meet our Lord and Savior any earlier than needed. Please know we miss contact, but also know the church leaders are working on a plan of rules, safety measures and disinfecting which will allow us to see each other SAFELY again. "Do no harm" is what we are told. Impatience will not take over our love for others.
Peace of Christ be with you,
Services will go digital
Many of our small groups will be meeting online using digital tools
Keep an eye on our family Facebook Group for the most up-to-date posts and help getting connected.
- Sunday School. We're working on ways to connect with our youngest members through live meeting tools.
- Small accountability groups. We're organizing some small groups of people to stay connected with each other. This is a great way for us to stay connected and network with each other. If you're available to be involved like this - helping connect and encouraging others - please contact us as soon as possible.
- Sunday services will be livestreamed. Details will be posted here and on our Facebook and Google listings as soon as they are available.
Weekly Offerings. We all know how important it is to keep our ministries going, and stay up with our other obligations. We have a few options during this time, and we're asking you to keep up with tithes and offerings as best you are able.
- Set up automatic electronic giving. Visit our online giving portal here. You will need our PIN which is DISCIPLE to set up your account.
Mail your tithes and offerings to the church at:
Vernon United Methodist Church
PO Box 345
Vernon, NJ 07462
- Use our "Giving Button" to give. It's easy - no account required.
Food Pantry is Open
Now more than ever, it's important to remember those who rely on our services. Our food pantry will be available to assist. Please follow the protocols below.
- Donations. We need you, and we need your help. If you are able to donate non-perishable food items, cleaning supplies, or household paper items, you may leave them on the steps by the side door of the church. Please notify us by email if you are planning to donate in this way, so we can make arrangements to bring the donations in.
- Pickups. Our food pantry is open during its regular hours (9am - noon, MWF), no appointment needed. If you need special assistance or additional information, please contact us by email.
Praying for the Affected
- If you or someone you know is in need of prayer support, please reach out and let us know. Our prayer warriors are always available to help support you and our community through the very real power of prayer.
We are updating our friends and family via social media, email, and on our website. Any changes in our status, or our plans to conduct services will be posted promptly.
Exercising Good Sense
These are challenging times, and we expect some ups and downs as we navigate this unexpected event. Please:
Follow the recommendations and guidance of your local community for social distancing, limited contact and best hygiene practices.
Remember your neighbors and those who may be less able to secure supplies for themselves. Check in with your loved ones and those who are nearby. Make sure that you are paying forward the generosity and compassion that God wants us to share with each other.
Don't panic. We are here to help wherever we can. We know that God is in control of all things, and we know that we can trust Him.
Help us stay connected to you. If you have not heard from us DIRECTLY, please contact me at PastorConnie@VernonUMC.org so we can be sure to include you in our email communications.
Counseling and Comfort
If you feel overwhelmed by what is being said about this virus-let’s talk.
This virus is the first one I have been through as a pastor. I do not have all of the answers, but I do know if your fear is stronger than your faith, you will have a harder time getting through this. Please pray for those who have been affected and those who are more likely to. If you are a healthy person help someone who is not in any way you can.
God did not create us to live isolated from one another. We see in the Bible those who had leprosy isolated and condemned-yet Jesus went to them and helped them whenever He could. I do not expect you to go into a quarantined place, but you do need to be the hands and feet of our God with others by showing Love, Compassion and Mercy. This is what we all are called to.
Stay safe, healthy and know that this too will pass. I will keep you updated on any changes at VUMC.
God bless you and keep you,